Do you know who your customers are? How old are they? How much money do they make? What kind of car do they drive? Do they own a home? Do they have children?
Understanding this kind of information will help you to create a Buyer Persona.
A buyer persona is a fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers.
This information provides great insight for you and your company. The information can be used to guide the development of your products and services, and can help to lead your company for the future.
The more detail in the Buyer Persona, the better. Here are some things to include:
- Customer demographics (age, income, occupation, home ownership). Demographics are the known facts about your customers.
- Psychographics (behavior patterns, motivations and goals). Psychographics is the study of personality, values, opinions, attitudes, interests, and lifestyles of your target audience.
The more detailed you are, the better.
Sample Buyer Persona
Wink Online Marketing created a great basic template to assist you in creating a basic buyer persona:
Here is their sample completed persona from the Buyer Persona Institute:
Depending on the number of products or services that you offer, you may develop several buyer personas for your target customers.
Why Buyer Personas are Important
Developing Buyers Personas are important because it will help you to better understand your target. Developing a better understanding of your target will help you to better define their needs, leading to more sales.
- You can develop key words based on your buyer personas. This will help to attract customers to your site.
- Identify the type of content that they like best. Your audience will gravitate toward that content — and it’s this type of content that you should focus more of your content marketing efforts on. This includes everything - blogging, images, social media, videos – should all be created with your persona’s in mind.
- Over time, they help you to develop a personality and style that are attractive to your target audience.
Refine. Refine. Refine. Your Buyer Persona is a work in progress. As your target audience ages and changes, your Buyer Persona will have to continually be updated to ensure that you’re providing the right product or service for your target.
This is something that you really don’t want to lose sight of.